What percentage of the earth’s surface area is covered by the Pacific Ocean?

Tourist Attractions

By Kristy Tolley

The Pacific Ocean

The Pacific Ocean is the largest and deepest ocean on Earth, covering an area of more than 60 million square miles. It is situated between Asia and Australia to the east, the Americas to the west, and Antarctica to the south. The ocean was named by the Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan, who called it Mar Pacifico, meaning "peaceful sea," due to the calm waters he encountered during his voyage in 1521.

Measuring the Earth’s Surface Area

The Earth is a sphere with a diameter of approximately 12,742 kilometers. Measuring the surface area of a sphere is a complex process, but it is estimated to be around 510 million square kilometers. This includes the land areas and bodies of water that make up the planet.

The Pacific Ocean’s Size and Boundaries

The Pacific Ocean is the largest body of water on the planet, covering around one-third of the Earth’s surface. It is bounded by the Arctic Ocean to the north, the Southern Ocean to the south, and the Atlantic and Indian Oceans to the east. The ocean’s western boundary is defined by the coastlines of the Americas and Asia.

Calculating the Pacific Ocean’s Surface Area

The size of the Pacific Ocean’s surface area is estimated to be around 63.8 million square miles or 165.2 million square kilometers. This accounts for approximately 12.6% of the total surface area of the Earth. The ocean’s surface area is constantly changing due to factors such as tides, currents, and weather patterns.

The Pacific Ocean’s Average Depth

The Pacific Ocean is also the deepest ocean on Earth, with an average depth of around 3,800 meters (12,467 feet). The ocean’s deepest point is the Challenger Deep, located in the Mariana Trench in the western Pacific, which has a depth of 10,925 meters (35,843 feet).

How Much of the Earth’s Water Does the Pacific Ocean Hold?

The Pacific Ocean holds around 50% of the Earth’s total water volume, which is estimated to be around 1.332 billion cubic kilometers. This includes both surface water and water stored in the ocean’s depths.

What Percent of the Earth’s Surface Area is Water?

Around 71% of the Earth’s surface is covered by water, with the remaining 29% consisting of land. This includes all the oceans, seas, lakes, and rivers on the planet.

How Much of the Pacific Ocean is Explored?

Despite its immense size, only a small percentage of the Pacific Ocean has been explored by humans. This is due to the ocean’s depth and vastness, as well as the challenges involved in conducting research in remote and hostile environments. However, advances in technology and research methods are allowing scientists to discover more about the ocean’s mysteries and potential resources.

The Importance of the Pacific Ocean

The Pacific Ocean is crucial for the survival of many marine species and supports a wide range of economic activities such as fishing, shipping, and tourism. It also plays a vital role in regulating the Earth’s climate through processes such as carbon sequestration and ocean circulation.

Threats to the Pacific Ocean

The Pacific Ocean faces a range of threats from human activities such as pollution, overfishing, and climate change. These factors are causing significant changes to the ocean’s ecosystems and could have far-reaching consequences for the planet’s biodiversity and climate.

Conclusion: Protecting the Pacific Ocean

Protecting the Pacific Ocean is essential for the health of our planet and the well-being of future generations. This requires a concerted effort from governments, businesses, and individuals to reduce pollution, promote sustainable fishing practices, and address the challenges of climate change. By working together, we can ensure that the Pacific Ocean remains a vital and thriving ecosystem for all.

References and Further Reading

  1. NOAA Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory. (n.d.). The Pacific Ocean. Retrieved from
  2. National Geographic Society. (n.d.). Pacific Ocean. Retrieved from
  3. World Atlas. (n.d.). How Much of the Earth is Covered by Water? Retrieved from
Photo of author

Kristy Tolley

Kristy Tolley, an accomplished editor at TravelAsker, boasts a rich background in travel content creation. Before TravelAsker, she led editorial efforts at Red Ventures Puerto Rico, shaping content for Platea English. Kristy's extensive two-decade career spans writing and editing travel topics, from destinations to road trips. Her passion for travel and storytelling inspire readers to embark on their own journeys.

Leave a Comment