In Vietnam, what is the percentage of languages that are spoken?

Travel Destinations

By Kristy Tolley

Languages spoken in Vietnam

Vietnam is a country rich in culture and diversity, with over 54 ethnic groups residing in different regions of the country. Each ethnic group has its own language, customs, and traditions. The most commonly spoken language in Vietnam is Vietnamese, but there are several other languages spoken by ethnic minorities.

Official language: Vietnamese

Vietnamese is the official language of Vietnam and is spoken by the majority of the population. It is a tonal language with six different tones, making it challenging for non-native speakers to learn. Vietnamese is written using the Latin alphabet with additional diacritical marks to represent tones. It is also the language used in government and education.

Ethnic minorities and their languages

Vietnam has 54 ethnic groups, with each group having its own language and cultural practices. The ethnic minorities comprise approximately 14% of the Vietnamese population. The most significant ethnic minority groups are the Hmong, Khmer, Ede, and Chinese.

Hmong language in Vietnam

The Hmong people are an ethnic group who reside in the northern part of Vietnam. The Hmong language is a tonal language with eight different tones and is written using the Roman alphabet. The language has several dialects, with the White Hmong dialect being most commonly spoken.

Khmer language in Vietnam

The Khmer people are an ethnic minority group in Vietnam who reside mainly in the southwestern part of the country. The Khmer language belongs to the Mon-Khmer language family and is written using the Khmer script.

Ede language in Vietnam

The Ede people are an ethnic minority group in Vietnam who reside in the Central Highlands. The Ede language is a Mon-Khmer language and is written using the Latin alphabet. The language has several dialects, with the Jalua dialect being most commonly spoken.

Chinese language in Vietnam

The Chinese language is spoken by a small minority of the population in Vietnam, mainly residing in Ho Chi Minh City. The language is written using characters and has several dialects, with Mandarin being the most commonly spoken.

French language in Vietnam

The French language was introduced to Vietnam during the French colonial period and is still spoken by a small percentage of the population. The language is mostly used in education and business.

English language in Vietnam

The English language is becoming increasingly popular in Vietnam, with many Vietnamese people learning it as a second language. The language is used in education and is also the language of international business.

Percentage of languages spoken

Vietnam has a high level of language diversity, with over 130 languages spoken throughout the country. However, Vietnamese is the most commonly spoken language, accounting for approximately 85% of the population. The remaining 15% of the population speaks one or more of the minority languages.

Challenges faced by language diversity

The diversity of languages in Vietnam presents challenges for communication and education. In some regions, there may be a lack of resources for minority language education, making it difficult for young people to retain their cultural and linguistic heritage.

Conclusion: Language diversity in Vietnam

Vietnam is a country with a rich diversity of languages and cultures. While Vietnamese is the most commonly spoken language, the ethnic minority languages add to the country’s cultural richness. Efforts should be made to promote and preserve these minority languages to maintain Vietnam’s cultural diversity and heritage.

Photo of author

Kristy Tolley

Kristy Tolley, an accomplished editor at TravelAsker, boasts a rich background in travel content creation. Before TravelAsker, she led editorial efforts at Red Ventures Puerto Rico, shaping content for Platea English. Kristy's extensive two-decade career spans writing and editing travel topics, from destinations to road trips. Her passion for travel and storytelling inspire readers to embark on their own journeys.

Leave a Comment